Empathy is valuing other people’s feelings and opinions. During times of stress, we want to stay connected to our family and not treat them in a harsh way. A great way to show your family some love is by “Brown Bagging It.”
The following exercise comes from the Reconnecting Youth (RY) program. It is an evidence-based program offered by Youth First.
- For this daily practice, all you need is a small brown paper bag, paper, crayons or markers, and a writing utensil.
- Write down positive statements about each family member daily.
- Be sure to include weekly achievements!
- Collect all statements in the brown paper bag.
- Be as creative as you like with your bag and notes of affirmation.
- Feel free to read the notes at the end of the day or at least at the end of the week for a quick smile and stress reducer.
- Hint: A great time to share notes of affirmation is during family meal time.